Wednesday, November 07, 2007

NT Scan Positive!

Well got the call from the Dr. today. The results weren't as good as I had hoped for but not as bad as I was expecting! The results are that the scan for trisiomy (sp?) is a definite negative while the results for the down syndrome are are positive. All this test does is give you your risk factor for the syndrome. If you go just by my age (36) I have a 1-193 chance of having a down syndrome baby. The test reveals 1-225 chance of the syndrome. The Dr would like to do an amnio but Carl and I have decided not to get it. There is a risk factor of 2% for a miscarry. How guilty would we feel if we lost this baby because of the amnio just to find out if the baby has it or not and the baby turned out to be completely normal. Also I would have to stop the lovenox for one night and well that scares me too. We will wait to see what the U/S reveals at 18 weeks if there are any markers of downs and then if there are we may opt then but for now, we are OK with our chances. God blessed us with this child for some reason.

2 comments:

Sporty said...

1-225 is much better than 1-193. I will say a prayer for you and the baby.

Like you said....God blessed you with this child for a reason.

I don't blame you on the amnio. You have to do what you and Carl feel comfortable with and if that means forgoing the amnio....then so be it!

Take care and I will keep checking back for updates!

Anonymous said...

Sorry the tests were not as positive as they could have been. The question about the amnio is...would you have an abortion if the tests came back that your baby has downs? I reckon you wouldn't, so is it needed to really know? I did not opt for an amnio because i would not have had an abortion either way either. Having said all that whatever happens and whatever you decide on I am sure it will work out ok..
Hope bubby is feeling completely well now and your getting some rest.
Hugs, Lesley