Sunday, June 12, 2005

Good News on the Soap Box Front!!

My Husband and I are totally in to soap box racing also know as gravity racing. It is for kids!! My Dad has a business and sponsored my niece in it five years ago. Of coarse she grew and grew out of her car. My dad bought her another type of car (super stock) and got another child (Taylor) to race my niece's old car.

Well, last year my niece won the local. Because she won, she got to compete in a international race in Akron Ohio. She also won $1500. We went to this race last year and found that she could have been racing all summer long in what is known as rally races and another division of racing known as the NDR. We also learned of another type of car that she could race at Akron -the master's car-.

We jumped right in last year into all of this racing! Carl and I helped my Dad purchase my niece a master's car. They are expensive and he didn't want to buy it but Carl and I were hooked. Taylor grew out of her car as well and my Dad bought a used super stock car for her! Her sister Lexie was now going to race her old stock car. Carl and I being hooked bought our God daughter a stock car as well. Last January she just became old enough to drive!! (8) My dad also found another stock car to buy used so he did and my cousin Joe who is 11 is driving that one! To sum it up we have.

Yesterday was our local race! This is the race that if you win you qualify for Akron Ohio race. We didn't do so good in the stock cars but Taylor won the local!!! We were so excited for her. Carl was putting her in the shoot and telling her how to drive the coarse ect... He was so proud of her and so was I. She gets to go to the international race and my Dad now has sent to kids in a row to Akron (of coarse we all go!).

We got so many awards yesterday too. Here is the summary:

Andrea (my niece the one who started all of this) got 4th place in the local at Frederick MD. Martinsburg doesn't race master's yet so she had to compete in the nearest local.

Taylor - Super Stock - FIRST PLACE IN THE RACE!!
First place in best paint scheme!!

Courtney - Stock - First place in best paint scheme!!

Lexie - Stock 2nd place in best paint scheme!!

Joe -Stock - Got a participation trophy

All the kids got a participation trophy and certificate of achievement handed to them by our senator!! It was so much fun and as you can tell I am extremely proud to be apart of it!! My Dad was beaming yesterday with the trophies!! If someone can tell me how to post my pictures on the blog I would appreciate it so I can share the group picture of them!!

3 comments:

Sporty said...

That sounds like so much fun Heather! I am glad that you had a great time. If you put the pics on photobucket.com, you can now post them directly to your blog from there.

Let me know if you need any help!

Take care and talk to you later.

Liz said...

I think it's great how your whole family is into this. It sounds like a lot of fun...can't wait to see the pics.

Jessigirl said...

How are you feeling, give us an update!!!!